Saturday, March 30, 2013

Homemade Banana Pudding

I know, I know...
In my past post I mentioned that I don't "do" homemade.  This has been a rare week of trying new things, lol.
Here's a recipe my friend Richel gave me, along with a picture of my final results.

Homemade Banana Pudding
3 large eggs, separated
3/4 c. Granulated sugar, divided to 1/2 & 1/4 cups
1/3 cup all purpose flour
dash of salt
3 cups whole milk
1 overflowing tsp. Pure vanilla extract
1 box of nila vanilla wafers, you won't use everyone of them
4-6 bananas sliced (I used 3)
pinch cream of tartar.

Separate the eggs & set aside the whites to come to room temperature for meringue. In a saucepan whisk together 1/2 cup of the sugar with the flour, salt, and milk. Whisk in egg yolks and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and mixture reaches 170 degrees. Remove from heat, stir in vanilla and set aside, to cool slightly.

In a 1-1/2 quart baking dish, begin layering. Spoon a small amount of the custard on the bottom of your dish; add a layer of the wafers on top of the custard and also around the outside of bowl with the rounded tips facing out, if desired. Continue to layer wafers, sliced bananas and custard for a total of 2 to 3 layers, ending with custard on top and set aside.

Prepare meringue; whip egg whites with mixer then slowly add the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and a pinch of cream of tartar.  Continue beating on medium/high speed until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue on top of the pudding, spreading to the edges. Place in a preheated oven 350 degrees for 12 - 15 degrees or until meringue peaks turn brown. Remove & let sit for at least an hour.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment